Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD), also known as Polycystic Ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a very common condition affecting 5% to 10% of women in the age group 12–45 years. It is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with menstrual periods and make it difficult for her to conceive. The principal features include no ovulation, irregular periods, acne and hirsuitism. If not treated it can cause insulin resistant diabetes, obesity and high cholesterol leading to heart disease.
PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) or PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) has taken the world of women by storm. It is a major ailment concerning a huge chunk of young females in India presently. PCOD strikes mostly at an early age, therefore, a substantial number of young adults go through this problem. This is a common endocrine disorder of unknown aetiology, affecting 5-10% of women of reproductive age. The average age group suffering from PCOD varies between 18 and 45 years. It is important for the youth to understand this disease at its onset, along with the causes and implications in the future.
PCOD is characterized by multiple small cysts in the ovaries. It makes the ovary enlarged and lead to excessive production of androgen and oestrogen hormones causing various bodily issues.
Causes of PCOD/PCOS :-
- Vitiation of Vata Dosha
- Insulin resistence leads to high testosterone
- Irregular menstruation cycle
Symptoms of PCOD/PCOS :-
Watch out for the following common symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Disorder:
- Irregular periods, occurring every 2 to 3 months (amenorrhea)
- Heavy bleeding (Menorrhagia)
- Unusual body and facial hair growth (hirsutism)
- Stubborn acne that refuses to heal with the usual treatments. This is due to excess peripheral androgen.
- Uncontrolled weight gain around the waist area especially
- Pigmentation or darkening of the skin around the neck region (Acanthosis nigricans)
- Male-pattern baldness
PCOD/PCOS Treatment in Ayurveda :-
1. Maintain Good weight – Loosing just 5-10% of the weight helps to develop regular menstrual cycles.
2. Regulate of menstural cycle – by treating scanty blood loss, thin endometrium
3. Boost Fertility :- focusing on regular ovulation and AMH levels
4. Balance Insulin Level – restoring normal hormonal levels
5. Basti Chikitsa – Medical oil enema has wonderful result to treat PCOD i Ayurveda
Take an Active Ayu Life treatment by applying a multi-pronged approach towards, correcting the hormonal imbalance, treatment to obesity and avoiding high cholesterol levels, treatment to insulin resistance. Correcting hormonal imbalance, there are many herbs useful in correcting the hormonal imbalance.